Search This Blog

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Oscar Wild

So the Oscars are this weekend (already!) and I for one have been a little surprised by the nominations. The nominees for Best Picture were:
  • Black Swan
  • The Fighter
  • Inception
  • The Kids Are All Right
  • The King's Speech
  • 127 Hours
  • The Social Network
  • Toy Story 3
  • True Grit
  • Winter's Bone
I predict The Fighter is gonna take the Best Picture award, as well as Best Supporting Actor, Christian Bale. This wasn't my first choice of movies to see but I LOVED it! It was SO GOOD.
I also thoroughly enjoyed Black Swan and I could see it winning. The King's Speech was really good and its getting rave reviews everywhere. But True Grit? The Social Network? Toy Story 3? The Kids Are All Right?  I mean, did they pick names out of a hat? No disrespect, but I don't think any of those are necessarily Oscar material. The Kids Are All Right was good, but not great. I've heard great things about Toy Story 3 but Best Picture? That might be a bit of a stretch. I also don't think Inception is worthy of Best Picture - did anybody really understand it?
The Social Network was actually really good and I think its maybe not being taken seriously because it is about Facebook.
I'm DYING to see 127 Hours!! To be honest, I don't even know what Winter's Bone is about, and I think True Grit looks like something I'd rather pull my hair out than watch.
I say its going to be a close call between Black Swan and The Fighter.



My predictions for the other main awards are as follows:
  • Best Actor: Javier Bardem (because I love him, he reminds me of my boyfriend, and because that would be an amazing win). I think Colin Firth is worthy of the title, but also James Franco would be awesome
  • Best Actress: Natalie Portman or Michelle Williams
  • Supporting Actor: Christian Bale
  • Supporting Actress: I'm really hoping for Helena Bonham Carter!
  • Best Director: Sooo tough! David O. Russell for The Fighter or David Fincher for The Social Network
We'll find out this Sunday I suppose! So whip out your champagne and party dresses, the Oscars are coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment